Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My first cont - Bonnamie

"Your cont is here at Mercy."  Eva exclaimed. 

"What? Do you know if it's a prenatal or labor?"

 She wasn't sure, so I picked up a few things needed for prenatals & headed over to Mercy.  Lyric, one of the guards, was standing outside & told me that I had a labor cont in.  So, I turned around to go get my scrubs. 

"Better hurry, she looked active."  He went on to say that they were transporting someone, but wasn't sure if it was my cont.

I ran home, changed rapidly into my scrubs & returned to MMC. 

"We're transporting your patient." I was informed.

She was only 35 weeks along, not good at all.

I stepped into Bonnamie's cubicle.  She was definitely in active labor...8-9 cm dilated.  I spoke to her a few minutes, put some gloves on, & headed for the nearby hospital.  Once there, we endorsed her care to the staff & left.  Before I left though, I peeked into the room where they have their patients deliver.  She was already laying down on their bed & they were preparing to deliever the baby.  I wished that I could have stayed, but that just isn't possible. 
I haven't heard from her, & the phone number I have for her, doesn't work.  Her fundal height measured 35 cm, which is a normal measurement for delivery here, so hopefully, her dates were just off & she was really term.

btw, "cont" stands for "continuity of care".  So, since I took Bonnamie as a cont, everytime she comes into Mercy for anything, I am called - or more realistically texted, saying that she is here.

1 comment:

  1. Aww!!! Ako cusin-cusin si kaayo with ka!! It was maayo kaayo to astoria ka yesterday....ang last week....Miss ka Ate´!!! ;D
    Hugs to ka!!!!
    Sars.....aka "Sleeping Beauty" lol

    ReplyDelete