Saturday, November 22, 2014

  I worked night shift yesterday.  I was tired starting out as I had already been up since 6 am, but there was nothing at the start of the shift, so I laid down and tried to sleep.  I drifted off for maybe an hour, when one of the midwives woke me saying " you have a labor".  I was still exhausted - it was 12:20 in the morning, but I pushed sleep away, and greeted my patient.
  She appeared super active, but this was her 4th time being into the clinic and every midwife had reported that she was super scared and not handling contractions well, so I sent her to the CR & prepared everything in the cubicle to take vitals.
  All vitals were WNL - within normal limits, except for b/p, but it was probably elevated due to the fact that she wasn't handling contractions well.  I spent a lot of time coaching her through contractions and helping her relax.
  This baby girl was born fast and everything went really well! So far, I have had 4 boys and 4 girls   :-)

1 comment: