Sunday, December 7, 2014

Day shift was busy kaayo!  There have been some recent changes to the Philhealth policy, which makes it that any patient that has Philhealth stays at the clinic for 24 hours after delivery.  We have 5 beds designated for labors and 5 for postpartum.
We were endorsed 4 postpartums, most of them were Philhealth, so had to stay for the 24 hours rather then the usual 6 hours.  We were also endorsed a labor, that I received.  She wasn't super active at the time, which turned out to be a good thing, because we had quite the rush.
It started with Heidi's cont showing up at 5 cm.  This was her fourth baby & things progressed very quickly, so I was called in to chart shortly after she arrived.  Everything went smoothly.
Another labor walked in at 9+ cm, so I checked on my patient, then charted this birth.  Again things went smoothly.
During this time, another patient walked in fully and had her baby.
Then Jenna's cont showed up at 8 cm.  I charted for Jenna & checked on my patient often as well.  My patient was 17 years old and needed a lot of encouragement. I didn't get to chart the actual birth for Jenna, as I got to encourage my patient - something that I hadn't been able to do much of since I had been busy with other patients.
She calmed down once I was able to sit down with her & talk her through her contractions. She had her baby about an hour later.  This birth went well...my tenth baby since arriving in the Philippines this September!
All in all, we had 5 births, and endorsed 9 postpartums to swing shift!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I've finally caught up! Sounds like every day brings new adventures there for you at Mercy! What are your plans for the end of the year? Does Mercy stay open all year round? How does that work? All of a sudden I think of millions of questions!:P

    ReplyDelete