Thursday, December 25, 2014

I worked night shift two nights ago and because it was Christmas Eve, each of us midwives and the guard, brought food.  We had a potluck at 11pm & welcomed Christmas morning at midnight, then crashed on the couches to hopefully get some sleep before a labor came.  
It felt like I had just fallen asleep when our guard opens the door & tells us that a "labor" was here.  I tried to push away all sleepiness to be able to welcome her fully.  Turns out, she was a patient that I had done her last two prenatals on!  She was BOW rupture, so I admitted her.  Vitals were normal, so between hourly vital checks, I would set my alarm & was so exhausted, I would fall asleep immediately...only to be woken up a few minutes later, or so it seemed to check on her again.  When I was checking her baby's heartbeat, she told me little bits of her story....mom died right after she was born....thinks her dad died, as she never remembers meeting him...her sister & her have a strained relationship....19 years old...a 1 1/2 year old boy & this boy on the way...both different dads...and neither one in the picture now.  
God opened up multiple opportunities to show & share about His love & presence even in the midst of very difficult circumstances.  I prayed with her & then continued praying multiple times to myself for her.  She was scared for this baby, I found out later she had been planning on giving him up for adoption, but that changed after she saw him.  
Around 5 am, I didn't leave her side much.  She clung to me for awhile & I whispered words of encouragement to her.  
I decided to endorse her to myself, which meant that I would be required to stay until everything was done & they were fully stable.
At 7:01, she gave birth.  We talked for awhile right after she delivered her son.  Then she slept for a good hour. When she awoke, I gave her baby his injections, newborn exam, weighed him, then moved them over to the postpartum area.  She didn't have any bantay with her, & hadn't brought any food or extra clothes, so I gave her some of my food & found some extra clothes for her to wear.  She asked me why I was being so nice and good to her.  "Because," I replied, "God has been so good & loving to me, and I want to pass it on."  

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that you were able to share God's love with this frightened young woman. What a blessing for both of you...or rather, all three of you, counting her new baby boy.

    I'm so happy for you, Jordan, that God allowed you to go back to the Philippines. Despite the lack of sleep and inevitable stress you deal with, it's obvious you enjoy your work, and God is blessing you as you serve Him. Keep on keeping on, girl!

    Have a Blessed New Year!
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gidayeg ang Dios!! What a wonderful, beautiful thing it is to be able to share those painful, scary, pero beautiful moments with that young mom!! Kalipay nako kaayo kana ikaw si ditto kay sila Ateh, ug let God use you as an encouragement!! You are SUCH a good midwife.
    So worth the lost sleep, right?! ;) <3

    Girlie, I can feel it!! Wish ako mag-didto helping pud, pero Dios kabalo nakong kussing-kussing.
    Akong kussing-kussing si mouban nimo!!!

    ReplyDelete