May 25, 2011 was my first night shift. When I arrived at MMC, there was already a patient who had been admitted a few hours earlier. Jackie – in her 1st year of college, Sarah, and myself were in her sheeted-off “room” charting & encouraging her. Jackie was in the position of primary midwife, while Sarah & I observed & did some basic skills, like charting, taking b/p, and FHT (fetal heart tones). That was a lot of fun. After a few hours of sitting in with her, another patient showed up. She still had a ways to go, before needing our services, so was sent back home. Another patient showed up soon after her. Sarah moved over to her “room” and observed the midwives there. I also moved over to her room, because we could hear that she was beginning to push, and I still had 2 more births to observe before moving on to charting. When I arrived, the baby was in severe distress, so Sarah was put into the position of charting, while was the “runner”. I fetched supplies as needed. After some oxygen & fetal stimulation, the baby did come round, but the contractions stopped. The midwives encouraged her to get some rest. At this time, it was determined that the 1st patient was in need of transport, so I went with Jackie to the hospital. A Filipino guy drove the birthing center’s ambulance. The patient, her husband, Jackie, and I sat in the back. The hospital is about 5-10 minutes away on bumpy roads. We got her checked-in, though this time I wasn’t allowed inside the door, so don’t know what it looked like, then we were driven back to MMC. We arrived a few minutes before the 3rd patient had her baby. Due to washing hands & changing into birth-room shoes, I missed the actual birth. When I did step in, the patient was holding her baby & kept repeating “Baby…praise the Lord…. baby….baby.” Her husband was also very excited about his little son. It was their first. Needless to say, I learned a lot!
(I will get pictures of the above patients on here soon.)
I don’t feel overwhelmed at all….I think that I could handle more time in MMC. I have learned so much in a very short time!!! Thank you everyone for helping me come here!
So far I haven’t had any homesickness, in fact I feel at home here. I am excited to see how God continues to lead me!
Jordan, I was thrilled to learn of your Philippine adventure, and I am glad you are enjoying learning so much. May God bless your endeavors there and give you a rich experience to further equip you for His service! :) Love, Mrs. Nettleton and Lacie
ReplyDeleteWe enjoy the updates and great details...
ReplyDeletethanks for taking the time to keep us filled in!!
We love and miss you, miss you, miss you...
even though it feels like home there, home here doesn't feel the same without you!!!
Mom, Aunt Debbie and Corbin
Hi
ReplyDeleteGlad your having such a great time over there. Sounds pretty hectic!
For the record, I haven't spilled anything since you left except for a little goat milk when I was trying to do a transfer from a 2 liter bottle into a feeding bottle. And, as that was an outside spill, I don't think that counts as an actual spill.
It was great getting to see you on skype the other day.
Tterbo
P.S. Bring me home a banana:)