The 2-year college students graduated yesterday, so all the midwives & students went to a resort to celebrate. So, two midwives from Manila were flown in & all the interns (us) were integrated immediatly into the swing of things! Terry, Julie, Chantal, & myself worked the swing shift. After a few hours of nothing, though I did get some sleep, we were able to observe & help with 3 deliveries!!! The first one, I was called in as the baby was being born. It was a 6 1/2 pound baby girl! Everything went really well & after the delivery, the nine year old sister & the husband came in to greet the newest addition. The sister was so in awe over her sibling... it was so cute to watch her get aquainted with the baby!
We knew that there was another patient, when a vehicle pulled up & honked. She came in & had her baby within 5 minutes of arriving. She had an adorable baby boy. He was only about 5 pounds! She had a first degree laceration, so I got to watch it get sutured.
Another patient came in while one midwife was suturing & the other was bathing & conducting a newborn exam. Thankfully, this patient was in active labor, so by the time that both midwives were free, she was ready to push. It was another boy...probably about 7 pounds...the biggest so far....
She also had a first degree laceration, so I again observed the suturing process.
Filipino women don't make any noise while having their babies & the babies themselves are generally quiet, though they do make themselves heard at times! :)
It was very exciting, the midwives go out of their way to teach, and the women are very thankful to have any help.
I now have 3 out of the 5 births that I need to observe before helping out!!
Five minutes! That's a fast labor if I've ever heard of one.:) Glad to hear it went so well!:)
ReplyDeleteYaaaaa! Your first babies. How cool! So glad to hear that all went well with the travels. Yaaa! The pictures are great! Keep them coming. Do they allow pictures of the babies and moms? Hope so and hope you can get time to be able to take some. Bet you are real busy. So cool. Thanks Jordan for this blog so we can follow you. We miss you! The Giltners
ReplyDeleteWow! What a blessing you are to sooo many. We are so proud of you and so thrilled to be able to see what you are doing on a daily basis, thanks for keeping us up to date. We are counting the days with you and will be waiting for your hugs and kisses in person. Love Grandma
ReplyDelete