I was on night shift for September 29 - 30. At 12 am, on October 30, Ezra Mae came into the clinic. She was 17 years old & super sweet. She was 5 cm dilated, so we admitted her & she labored outside for the first little while. Then, around 3 am, Mae wanted to stay in her cubicle. I was assisting with a labor, but once things were settled there, I stayed with Mae until she delivered. She wanted to push, but it was too early, so I coached her in breathing through her contractions. Her bana was really supportive until she was ready to push, then he faded into the background....actually he left the cubicle.....he was 16 years old. Once it was ok to push, she did really well, but baby's FHT's were between 80-110 - low. So, I did head stim almost constantly for a while. Heart tones got better right before baby was born. There was no nuchal cord, so I am not sure why heart tones got so low. I have been having a lot of big babies, but Ivan John was so little! Yes, it was a boy!! Postpartum went well, though he didn't nurse well, so got high RR & was transported to the hospital. I wasn't on shift by this time, but she texted me & let me know that they were home & doing well.
Then earlier today - October 2, 2011, a labor came in. Kimberly Jane was a 16 year old G1P0. She didn't look to active, but was 9+ cm. She handled her contractions really well, hardly showing that she was having a contraction. Even when ctx got hard, she could still easily talk through them! Kim didn't really want her bana or bantay with her, so as often as I could, I spent time in the cubicle with her. Then when it was time to push, she pushed very effectively. Her little girl is so adorable! After shift, I went to Outland Adventure for Lindsy's birthday - will try to post pictures later, but once I was done, I returned to the clinic to say hi to her. Kim's pulse was really high, & on asking, I found out that she hadn't eaten all day! By this time, it was 6-7 pm & she had just worked hard laboring! So, we sent the bana off for food & in the meantime, tried to start an IV, but it didn't work, & not knowing how long the bana was going to be gone, I got her some food.
I love all my patients, but I was really thankful to have two young patients these last few days. They both did amazing!
So that makes 23 babies.....
No comments:
Post a Comment