My day started with Day shift. It was a normal busy. Then it really slowed down towards lunch time. A patient who I had done her immediate & most of her continued postpartum on, had brought us spaghetti sauce as a “thank you” gift….so we went over to the Green house to cook some noodles! :)
Towards the end of Day, I received a text from my cont, Analou, stating that “busog” or “contractions” had begun & should she come in. She wanted to, so I said that she could.
So, when Day ended, I stuck around waiting for her to show up. She did, around 4:30, so I spent the next hour checking vitals, & talking with her about her labor signs. She was only 1+ cm, IBOW, 50% effaced, so I sent her home.
For the next hour, I talked with Ashton. I then received a text from Analou stating that she had just got home & was drinking buko juice. Not long after that, she texted me saying that she had SROM, so I texted her saying that she needed to come back.
I tried to get some sleep, because I knew that I probably would be busy for the next while & I had Day or Swing tomorrow. It depended on a few factors as to which I would be doing.
She showed up appearing more active. I waited to do the I.E. until 6 hours after the first & 4 hours after SROM. When I did the next one, she was exactly the same. No progress I.E. wise, though I count progress in other ways too……harder, longer, contractions….which was definitely the case.
Ate May told me to transport her.
“Please, Ate, can we give her just a little more time?”
We discussed it a little more, then she asked “How much time do you want to give her?"
Another midwife asked her a question, so while she answered her, I thought about it. I was going to ask for 4 more hours. 5:30 was the deadline.
Ate May turned to me & said, “how about 6 hours? Are you ok with that?”
I was totally ok with that! I informed An that we had 6 hours, so do lots of labor stimulation.
Every hour I checked her vitals, & then would pray myself to sleep that she would deliver, to be woken by my alarm to check her again.
5:30 came. Time to do my next I.E. to decide if I would be transporting her. She was a G2P0…so basically G1, so it was very likely that I would be transporting her.
I asked her to go to the CR to wash, but she told me that she couldn’t.
“I can’t do the next I.E. without you going to the CR first. You need to go…..or not Head visible!” I called.
Athena Marie – yes my middle name :D - was born at 5:37! Praise the Lord!!! We were so happy!
I decided to stay for Day, since I would already be there anyways for my cont, & didn’t want to be there for Swing too. It was now 24 hours of being at Mercy with maybe 5 hours of sleep.
This Day was nothing like last Day. We had 4-6 labors at one time, several postpartums, baby checks, etc.
I was given a labor, Louella, at around 10 am. Everything was normal, so I did her I.E. at 11 am. 6 cm, very stretchy & thin. I was so hoping & praying that I could catch her baby too. She was such a sweet patient – smiling & talking through her contractions even though they palpated hard. She was a G3P2. Her last babies were girls & 9 + pounds born in the hospital.
My cont was ready – time wise for discharge, so I was explaining all the postpartum papers, when Louella’s bana found me & told me that Louella was feeling a lot of pain. This was at 1 pm. I let her try to push, but there was nothing visible & she could breathe well through her contractions, so I told her to breathe & finished doing the vitals/paperwork for my cont. Athena’s breathing was really fast, so I couldn’t discharge them. I told An to breastfeed, then went back to Louella.
She was kneeling on the bed laboring well. I had told her at 1 pm that I really wanted to see her baby, but was getting off soon. So, when I went back to check on her, she asked me what time I was getting off. I told her 1:45…….in 15 minutes.
She made a cute expression & began doing kiay-kiay.
Her bana asked me if “panubigon” was normal. Panubigon is SROM. I told him yes it was, and no sooner did the words leave my mouth, when she had SROM at 1:35.
I had her lie down to check the FHT’s then she kneeled again and began pushing. At first there was nothing visible, but then there was 6-8 cm head visible.
Ate Ana came in & had her lie down. Baby was out 2 minutes after pushing & yes, I caught!!!! We had a Praise the Lord time!
I asked if I could stay for as long as I could, then endorse the rest…I was now going on 20 hours of being at Mercy with only 5 hours max. of sleep. But, I had just caught a baby, so I was awake! ;D
I had almost got her over to continued postpartum, but then my con’t s baby had to be transported, and I wanted to do it, so I left Louella with another midwife & transported.
That went well. The doctors were very kind. After endorsing their care to the doctor, I left.
I finished all the charting, & told Louella that I was going to go home now. Her bana told me that I was to name their baby boy. Wow! What an honor! I have 2 days to come up with a name…..
After telling them that I would see them for baby checks – at least the first three anyways, I left for the OC to eat, I hadn’t had anything since breakfast & it was now dinner time, shower, man, did that feel good!, and unwind!
So, that was my 33 hours of fun in a nutshell!!! :D
Amazing! Wow! That is very busy. congrats on another baby named after you and one that you get the privlege to name yourself. I am sure that the shower and rest felt very good indeed. I can't wait to see you. Love you.
ReplyDeleteYour little sister
Kayla