Let’s see……where do I even begin….. there is so much that I have learned……
First off, I will start with my births that I handled. I have delivered 30 babies, 17 girls & 12 boys….much more even then when I first started out! :)
It is still so amazing to assist with a birth & watch new parents get to know their firstborn, or newest addition. I have heard stories full of joy, expectation, hope, & love, or stories that are sad & hard to repeat. I have seen parents rejoice when everything is normal, & panic when things are scary & the outcome looks questionable. I have learned more how to coach a mother in labor, to comfort her, alleviate her fears, pray with her, explain what to expect during labor…the list goes on.
I have transported women in labor & babies to the hospital & after endorsing their care, walk out & return to Mercy…sometimes never knowing the outcome.
There is no easy way to say it…..transports are hard. I know that we transport only when we need to….and that I guess could make them “easy”, but often we have labored with the woman that we are transporting…we have built a relationship….we have encouraged them, supported them, prayed with them. But I am glad that we have a place to go to when need be. The above picture shows the recovery room for the patients who have delivered at the local hospital that we transport to.
I have a cont due any day. This is her 2nd pregnancy, but her first ended at 1 1/2 months gestation…she is so excited & praising the Lord every time I tell her that everything is normal. The baby has begun to engage in the pelvis & her due date is October 13th, so I will probably be getting a text in the near future…..
Prenatals are broken up into 2 sections….initials & additional. Both are times to get to know each woman individually. During the Initial prenatal, many questions are asked about the medical history of the mother-to-be & her family. If there have been miscarriages/abortions, these are talked about to get a full picture of her obstetric history.
So far, I have done 145 prenatals & 7 initials.
Postpartums…..or baby-checks as we call them here…provide an opportunity to make sure that mom & baby are doing well. So far, I have done about 100 postpartums.
Of everything that I have listed, the most amazing thing has been to see & feel God move. I’m not saying that I haven’t felt it in the states, ‘cause that wouldn’t be true, but here…in life & death situations….to know that God is right next to you…to feel His presence in the room, to watch a baby that looks dead begin to breathe, cry, move… is awesome. It fills me with awe of the One that I call Master, Lord, Savior, Immanuel.
When you get these moments of rest and are able to share from your heart it brings us closer to what you are experiencing....
ReplyDeletehelps us to understand your life over there.
Thank you!
The babies sure are cute! Only a couple weeks left before i can see you.
ReplyDeleteLove you
cant wait to hear all of the exciting stories.
Kayla