So, we were endorsed 3 labors & a postpartum. I was on with Ashton, Ate Estef, & Ate Elsa.
Ate Estefanie had the continued postpartum. This patient had delivered several hours before, so Ate only needed to recheck the patient’s vitals & give the baby a bath around 1 pm.
One of the labors was only 2-3 cm, but they had her stay to evaluate her. This was Ate Elsa’s labor.
Ashton’s labor was a Badjao patient who was only 2 cm. They were going to send her home as she was a G1P0, but since she wanted to stay & it was late, they let her stay.
My labor was 5 cm, with a big fundal height & G2P1. She wasn’t super active, but I knew that could change soon, so I had Ash help keep me awake, by chatting with me. I had worked Day & hadn’t slept afterwards, so I had already been up for a long time that day.
For the first three hours, I checked vitals every hour, and between time swapped stories with Ashers. Ate Else & Estef slept.
Right before 1 pm, another labor came in. Ate Estef took her. She was feeling pushy, and Ate Estef caught her baby soon after.
I was sent to get postpartum vitals & prepare the bath water, so the parents could bathe their baby. Everything was normal, so it didn’t take long.
Ashton’s patient began pushing before Ate Estef’s patient delivered. Ash did an I.E. to make sure that she was fully. She wasn’t, but she wouldn’t listen to Ash tell her that she needed to breathe, so Ash stayed with her.
Ash & I agreed that we would assist each other, so as soon as I had finished doing V/S & helping Ate Estef, I gloved in preparation to help Ash.
I overheard my patient talking with her bana about pushing. So, I hastily left Ash & peeked on my patient. She was definitely wanting to push, so I asked Ate Estef if she could try. It had been 6 hours after the last I.E., so Ate told me to recheck the I.E. So, I did told Ash that I had to do an I.E. & then I would be back… My findings were 4 cm, & head not well applied.
Another labor, Rocsan, came in now. Upon looking at the chart, I read that she was Ate Suse’s cont. Unfortunately, Ate Suse is out of town, so she wasn’t able to be here. So, I told Ash that I had to do another I.E. & then I would be back…. My findings were 8 cm, & well dilated.
I went back & forth helping Ate Estef, informing my patient that she couldn’t push, & helping Ash.
Not long after I did the I.E. on Rocsan, she wanted to push. I was encouraging her to breathe. Up to this point, she had been in control, smiling, etc. But, when she began to feel the desire to push, she became a little hysterical. I let her push as she desired, which meant with her arms wrapped around her aunt. She really got in control again & pushed well.
Ashton’s patient had delivered by this time. A healthy boy. I was not there for the birth, as I didn’t want my patient to push her baby out without me there. :D
My patient delivered her baby now. It was such a good birth! Due to there being only 4 people on shift, & by now, 2 immediate postpartums, 1 almost continued postpartum, & another patient pushing (the one that I had been labor-watching for 3-4 hours by now…Ate Else caught the baby) I got to do the handling, most of the assisting & clean-up! That was fun, though hard too!
There were complications with every single birth, minor, but it kept me moving….getting IV’s, etc.
Day shift people showed up & began helping us out. I hope this gives you a taste of some of our exciting shifts, though unless you were on shift with us….I don’t think you could fully comprehend it! :D
Whee! What a flurry of activity over there. But at least all the babies were OK. To God be the glory!
ReplyDeleteGod bless,
~R
Wow! What a wirlwind. Good job on another baby. It is amazing to think that I really have a sister that is a midwife!!!!! I can't wait to hear all of the wonderful stories that you will have to share.
ReplyDeleteLove
Kay