Tuesday, July 19, 2011

7/18/11 Day Shift

  We had a really busy shift.  There were only 2 births, but lots of postpartum patients.  On finishing a p.p. check-up, I heard a few “pushing” noises coming from the cubicle near me.  Chantal had a patient in labor that she had been checking on.  I didn’t think much of it, thinking that Chantal was in there with her, so scooped everything up from the p.p. to put it away & stepped out of the cubicle.  Just as I stepped out, the patient’s mom threw open the curtain & frantically motioned for me.  I hollered “baby coming”, pulled gloves out of my pocket, & hastened inside the cubicle.  I didn’t have time to put on the gloves, so just put them between my hand & the baby’s head.  I delivered the head, but Chantal delivered the body – bare-handed!!  We laughingly call it the “joint catch!”  Thankfully, she didn’t tear.  Being a midwife makes for some fun, exciting moments!  We sure learn to be ready for anything!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jordan, It has been a beautiful gift for us, your family, to be able to walk along side you through this blog. We share in your joy, adventure, laughter and growth. Thank you for taking the time to keep us up to date.. it has been good for my heart!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting indeed! Good thing you were right there.

    So was it a girl or a boy?
    Hope both mama and baby are doing well.

    God bless,
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello TomWildRose,
    The baby is a boy. They are both doing really well!!
    Blessings,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. To our beloved Jordy, we are anxiously awaiting your return, yet we know that you charish every day while you are doing God's work. So many are blessed by yor presence. What time do you arrive in Spokane. Lots of love, Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete