Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Loose Feline

  Night shift was slow, so I spent it sleeping.  When I awoke at 5 am, Mary, who was going to be on Day shift, told me that there was a wild cat in their house.  She asked me to come help her get it out, so I followed her to the Orange House.  The cat on hearing us approach, ran from the living room into the kitchen.  We followed, & Mary opened the outside door, hoping that it would run out.  Instead it jumped onto the counter & weaved it’s way around some dishes that were clean & drying.  It then began climbing the window screen.  I reached for it & it dropped down onto the counter.  If it was an American cat, I would have had it when I tried to grab it by it’s scruff.  However, as it’s a Philippine cat, there is no such thing as scruff on it’s neck…..probably a good thing as I don’t know what would have happened if I actually would have been able to pick it up by it’s neck.  It darted off the counter & up the stairs.  Mary & I followed laughing, but trying not to wake the other girls.  Kitty decided that it didn’t like it upstairs, so ran downstairs again.  When it entered the kitchen again, it began doing small jumps & hitting the kitchen cabinets in a weird fashion.  “Oh no, now the cat’s going crazy & it’s in OUR house!”  I opened the outside door again & this time the cat made it’s exit! Yea!!  It sure began my day in an exciting manner!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Jordan,

    A very serious warning to you and the rest of the young ladies... "Don't handle any cat or dog in foreign countries unless you KNOW the owner and have SPECIFICALLY asked if its been vaccinated for Rabies!" Rabies and other diseases are rampant in poorer countries: Asia and the Middle East. The inhabitants don't care for their pets/don't have the finances, usually, as Americans do. Many of those cats and puppies are actually wild/don't have homes. If that cat had bit you, you would be getting Rabies shots! I have heard very scary stories during my trips abroad of people playing with stray adorable puppies and kittens and dying from a month or two later from rabies. Be wise! Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Anonymous' warning. Stay away and don't touch the wild critters. Serious and unfortunate consequences could follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious Jordan!!!! Reminds me of the loose 5-6 lb RAT (size of a medium-sized cat) we had in the Bukid!!!! It lived under our bed, ran around the room, stole our belongings, ran across the mosquito nets over our hammocks, and was the scourge of the house!!!
    Thing was, up-to-date, we still haven't caught it!!! Rat poison hasn't worked yet, but hopefully it will!!!

    In comment to the above posters, we have lots of cats and dogs here in our neighborhood, and though there is always a possibility of rabies, worms and fleas are the more common problem. We all know the risks, but take them accordingly when needed.

    Good job Jordan!!! Wish I could have been there to help!!! :)

    ReplyDelete