Saturday, July 2, 2011

7/2/11 Day Shift

Before I tell you about Day Shift, I first want to say that last night it really rained.  Lydia, Annie, Stephanie & I enjoyed playing in the downpour.  We got soaked & in hardly any time at all!  After playing by ourselves, the girls from the orange house came out & got soaked too.  Then we roasted marshmallows over the gas stove.  Joy & I left to pick up one of the girls at Victoria.  The rain hadn’t been pouring for very long, but already on part of the roads, you could feel the water hitting the car floor.  It is really fun to play in, but some of the midwives & lots of other people are having flooding in their houses due to the rain.  So, please pray for safety & that there wouldn’t be anymore flooding.

Day shift went very well.  Sarah did her first handle & did a good job at it too – I knew she would. :)

When Ellen came in, Sarah did all her vitals.  She was fully dilated, so I was called in & asked if I wanted to be the assistor.  Of course I said that I wanted to!  Ellen didn’t have a bantay or bana with her, so I pretty much took that position, by getting her water, milo, & supporting her later during pushing.

Even though she was fully dilated, she didn’t really feel like pushing.  After waiting for about 1/2 an hour, she really began to get the urge to push.  The bag of waters broke & shot over the bed & down the wall!  There was moderate staining of mec, so we knew that we had to be ready to deep suction the baby.  She wanted to sit up, so we got her the birth stool.  I had my arm around her to support her.  Once the baby’s head was being born, we had her lie down again. Ellen took hold of my hand & held onto it until we put the baby on her belly.  Once baby was born, she began praising God – it was so sweet.  Ate Ana deep-suctioned the baby out, then I continued bulb syringing for a bit.  After the suctioning, baby was still  looking bluish, so we administered free-flowing oxygen.  I cleaned up all the instruments, bulb syringe, scissors used for cutting the cord, oxygen tubing, birth stool, pillow used for semi-sitting position, & the suctioning machine.  Then after I set up the birth cart again, I was done with my duties.  It was a good birth & I was blessed to be a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you were able to be at a birth with Sarah. Miss you lots
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete