Sunday, July 24, 2011

7/24/11 Night Shift

Last night, I was "first-up" for any labors that came in. Not long into the shift, Leslie, an 18 year old, G2P1 came in. She didn't look really active, but on examination, she was 7 cm dilated, 90% effaced, & +1 station. She had hypertension - 150/100 & episodes of fetal tachycardia - getting up to 180 bpm. We transported her within 45 minutes of when she walked in. When we arrived at the hospital, it took awhile for the doctor to have time to see us. Once we handed over the paperwork, I put my arm around her, told her goodbye & that I would be praying for her. Then I offered up a short prayer, asking for health for mom & baby & wisdom for the doctors. Leslie was almost in tears, though she tried hard to be strong. I really wanted to stay with her. I am really hoping that she will come to Mercy for her postpartum check-ups.

1 comment:

  1. That is so sad! I would have been totally distraut if I had been in her shoes. As it was I was a wreck when I had to go to the hospital and I had Noah, my midwife and some of my inlaws there to support me. I'm glad she had you there for her at least on the way to the hospital and that she had you praying for her as well. That must have been a great comfort to her.
    ~Alissa

    ReplyDelete