Saturday, October 11, 2014

  After being up for about 30 hours, I finally fell asleep for 17 hours with just a few brief times of waking up.  I felt pretty rested and very excited for day shift.  It was very busy, which is what I was hoping for.
  We were endorsed 2 labors, and a third labor - mine, came in soon after endorsements.  One of the them delivered a boy, and I got to semi-assist that one! Another labor came in and I checked her vitals.  My supervisor ended up taking my first labor and giving me this girl.
 The 2nd labor that had been endorsed to us, began pushing.  During this, the mom and baby came in for their first day check.  I was supposed to do the NBS on the baby, but my first labor needed transported d/t BOW rupture at 6 am and no contractions.     Protocol is that the baby has to be delivered by 12 hours BOW rupture.  So the supervisor did the NBS and told the guard to drive quickly as I had an active labor.
  It went without mishap.  I remembered what to do, and it went smoothly.  There was a funny instance, where one of the young guys saw my name tag & began calling my name.  I walked over to where he was sitting at the desk and he asked me "do you understand much Visayan" "gamay lang (a little)" I replied.  I asked where the Dr was & he told me to wait lang, then when she appeared, he pointed her out.  I endorsed my patient's care to her, then as I was walking out, he called me over again.
 "Are your parent's basketball players?"
 "No." I replied laughing, "Michael Jordan is black & I am white"
 "How did they derive your name then?"
  "From the hospital that I was born at.  I was born at the Jordan hospital"
  They found that hilarious, lol.  It used to bother me the amount that people say that Jordan is a boy's name, a last name, or are you related to Michael Jordan, or a Jordan that is a well-known rap player, etc., etc., but now, I just laugh about it.
  Anyways, the guard did very well at getting me safely and quickly back to the birthing center.
  Upon getting back, I did another full set of vitals on my patient, then checked vitals on a post-dates pregnant lady who stopped by.
  The patient who had started pushing when I transported my patient, was transported d/t lack of progress.
  FHT's began to go crazy with my patient's baby.  The supervisor and I spent a lot of time monitoring heart tones.  we tried administering O2 to her and giving her an IV.  The O2 helped, but heart tones were all over and as soon as we discontinued, they began dipping again.  So, I transported her.
  It was a good shift in that I learned a lot, but I never like to have to transport patients.  Praying that everything is ok with them and their babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment