Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Day shift stayed really busy, even though there were no births.  Clinic was closed for most of this week, but we still had around 12 women who came in, so we did those.  I got to do about 6 of them.  Several patients here don't know what their LMP is, so it's hard to get an accurate EDD.  Ultrasound has helped us figure out EDD's when they aren't confident.  One lady didn't know her LMP at all, first ultrasound showed late December.  Fundal height is really big, baby feels really small, but the 2nd ultrasound done today only brought her EDD two weeks closer, so we are sending her to the doctor.  If she gets the ok to deliver at Mercy, I am planning on taking her as a cont.  She would be my 4th.  My other three are due between the 14th of November and 4th of December...with my 17 + shifts scheduled between those dates, this could be a very exciting, exhausting time! 
My 3rd patient and 1st boy came in for their check-up.  This mother obviously has had a very rough life.  I did get her to smile though for the first time today.  I hope she continues to open up and trust me more.  She clearly doesn't want to talk deep about anything, so I haven't tried, but just that smile, showed me that we were making some head-way.  
She was followed by my 4th patient.  Her baby is still in the hospital.  Thankfully she has been able to breastfeed him, so that is one praise.  Another praise is that from what I can tell her and her family are saved & she has a very supportive mother and bana.  
I was first up, so when a young lady came complaining of lower abdominal pain, I took all vitals.  In talking to her, we learned that she had rubbed oils on her belly.  This is a fairly common thing that they do here.  Thankfully, it seems to be decreasing as these oils can start labor or just cause weird contraction patterns and lots of unneeded pain.  She was only 35 4/7 weeks along, so we had the guard take her to the hospital.
Another first-time lady came by.  Again, since I was first up, I took all vitals and spent some time talking to her.  She may have been in really early labor, but it could take a couple days to go into active labor, so I discussed when to come back to Mercy, and sent her home.
And that was my shift 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I have to say it amazes me how good your memory is over the day, when your keeping so busy.;) I really have a hard time sometimes with just normal days here at home, remembering everything.:P How many hours do you work a week? What's your schedule like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Ashley! We endorse everything at the end of the shift so that helps me remember what I may have forgotten throughout the day. :-) It varies as to how many hours & what my schedule looks like week to week, but approximately 40-48 hours per week. With having conts, that could easily be more these next few weeks :-)

      Delete