Saturday, October 18, 2014

My alarm went off at 4:45 am this morning.  After taking a breath of resolution, I rolled out of bed, and got ready for day shift. 
There were no patients endorsed to us, so I got some time to read the Bible before a young girl came in fully and had her baby soon after.  I got to chart that birth.  It went really well.  She started the flow of patients. 
The first was a labor that got transported d/t BOW rupture and lack of contractions.
A baby check came in that was endorsed to anyone on Day, and I was chosen to do it.  Everything was WNL -within normal limits, and so it was super easy to complete.
Then my pt that delivered a week ago came in.  The mom had a temperature and elevated b/p, so we advised her to go to the doctor.
One of the midwives had a labor come in and so she asked me to finish her baby check.  This mom and baby were the first delivery that I assisted for! That was pretty cool :-)
This one was followed by my 3 day old postpartum.  Everything was WNL, so it was also very easy to do. 
A 16 year old girl who was in labor came in.  All vitals were normal, but she was 4 cm and only 35 weeks 6 days along.  The fear on her face and in her momma's voice, was heartbreaking.  Her mom asked me if the baby was ok. I assured her that FHT's - fetal heart tones, were normal at this point.  I asked them if they would like me to pray for them.  The girl said "yes", so I prayed for them.  After that, she seemed more peaceful, but I couldn't imagine what she would still be going through.  I know it's impossible, but I want to stay by the side of each of the patients we transport until they deliver. 

1 comment:

  1. That was a neat opportunity for sure, Jordan! I know it's hard when you want to do what only the Lord can! Keep trusting Him and encouraging those around you!

    ReplyDelete