Yesterday, during swing shift, I was first up. Meaning that the first labor that walked in, unless she was a cont of another midwife, would be assigned to me. A G10, meaning she had been pregnant 10X, came in soon after my shift started, but she wasn't in labor, so we sent her home. She was super tiny and it was pretty difficult to communicate with her as she didn't understand any English.
My next labor was a G5 Badjao patient. The Badjao group as a whole, are very poor, speak their own dialect - and don't speak English or Visayan, aren't educated at all, and wear super bright colorful clothes. Thankfully, the patient's mom spoke Visayan really well, so it made it easier to communicate. Their labors usually go really fast, so because she was 5cm and baby's head was super low, we were expecting her to go quickly. I kept a very close eye on her, because these patients usually don't tell us when they are beginning to push, and I didn't want to miss catching the baby.
My previous labor came back, which another midwife took. This time she was in the late stages of labor, but she was so calm that just by observation, you would think that she was in the beginning stages.
Both our patients spent a lot of time walking around, resting on the bed & not looking active at all. After a few hours, the G10 began pushing. Another G5 in active labor came in. This was right before endorsements, so she didn't deliver during our shift. The first patient delivered her baby right before endorsements, and we endorsed the two labors to the night shift.
Tomorrow night, I will be first up again & maybe get to catch a baby :-)
Hey! Thanks for explaining things down for me a little more! I really enjoyed reading this post and deinfitely appreciated knowing a bit more about what was going on! My mom was like that first woman who came in. When she was in labor with one of my siblings, she walked into the hospital telling them that she was in labor, her water had broke, but was so clam as she was trying not to scare anyone, that the nurses didn't believe her. They had her lay down and came in to check her just for her sake and realized she was in transition. 55 mins later a new baby had come into our family! That was her fastest one ever!
ReplyDeleteYeah definitely! I will try to continue adding more information :-) That is so cool about your mom...these women are definitely inspirations to me for when I have my own kids :-)
DeleteLove it Jord! Oh, those good ole' days..... Praying for you! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks Sarah...wish you were here! <3
DeleteWhee! Sounds like another busy day in the life of Jordan Ruseler. ;-)
ReplyDeleteQuestion: Are the Badjao the people you mentioned...I think it was after you got back last time...who kind of live out in the "bush" and are looked down upon by the rest of the people there? I remember you went to the bush country last time and really had a heart for these people.
Prayers,
~R
You are correct in that they aren't seen as much by the other people, but no, they don't live in the bush. They live in extremely poor parts of the city and nearby places.
DeleteDidn't figure I had it quite right. :-P
DeleteHow wonderful, though, that you got to minister to some of them!
~R