Swing shift began really slow. Well, actually it was dead. We had a few postpartums, but nothing else to do, so we caught up on logbooks, read the Bible, talked, etc. Then a labor came in almost fully dilated - 9+ cm. Michaela was first up, so she caught an adorable little girl at 4:26 pm. The baby was completely covered (thick) in vernix….made the baby look white! :D
Michaela did an excellent job & I was blessed to be able to assist her. Another labor had come in earlier, but it looked as if she was in really early labor. Ate May checked her dilation, to find that she was already 4-5 cm! I was second up, but because I was busy assisting, Ate May checked all her vitals for me.
My patient’s name was Novem, nicknamed Vem Vem. She was 21 y.o. & G1P0. Things progressed really well….and fast. Around 7:00 pm, Vem (2X) wanted to stay in her cubicle & lay down.
The new girls had arrived earlier today, so Heidi & Julianne came over to say “hi.” I chatted with them for a little while, then checked again on my patient. I thought we could let Vem Vem try pushing, so stepped out of the cubicle to ask Ate May. She was thinking the same thing, so was already coming my way. I was only out of the cubicle a few seconds, but when we checked there was head visible. Ate May & I had a good laugh. Good thing I wasn’t out any longer!!
Michaela came in to chart for me. This is what is on the charts: 8:12 – 2 cm head visible. 8:14 – baby out. Talk about fast!! Baby was born in OP postion (meaning that the baby’s face is looking upwards) I had never seen a baby born OP, much less caught one!
We laid the baby on Mom & while doing so, I got to see what it was. I leaned over to Michaela & whispered, I didn’t want to ruin the surprise for the parents, “Michaela, it’s a boy”. I was so excited! Vincent Jay did really good with APGAR scores of 9/9. Immediate postpartum was only complicated by the fact that Vem(X2) had a hemoglobin of 90 & the placenta came real slow.
I didn’t get pictures, but hope to on their 1st baby check.
Aha! Your first baby boy! Congrats--to you and the proud parents. :-)
ReplyDeleteGod bless,
~R
Jordan, Sarah, Joan,
ReplyDeleteBlessed Morning! I continue to pray for each of you daily, and often.
I have been following each of your web sites almost daily and I noticed that the postings are getting fewer as the days progress in your works there as each of you become more immersed and more familiar in your roles there.
I have a medical query and am attaching a relevant news story link, that I would appreciate you addressing and making an inquiry there with your experienced, seasoned mid-wives please that do the traveling to the offsite community outreach clinics. That is, of the condition occurring and frequency of Obstetric related vaginal-rectal fistulas occurring and actively being post-delivery followed up and treated in the Philippines.
here is the link to the African based story
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/04/teenage-brides-suffer-pain-shame-fistula/?intcmp=obinsite
God Bless everything you do
for God, the women, babies, and the families you grace with your words and touch.
notutopia
Hey Jordan- Its Magdalena from the Mercy In Action workshop- Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of you and Sarah and I've enjoyed reading your blogs! What awesome opportunities you both have had :D
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to let you know that out of the 5 births I've doula'd for...all baby girls. I have yet to see a baby boy born LOL...So I can semi-relate to your excitement over finally catching a baby boy ha-ha..Congrats and keep posting :-)
~m.