Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Lovely Vacation Day 2

  I texted the Supers, asking if I could change shifts with Willa.  She would take my Wednesday shift & I would take a shift for her the following week.  I was so happy that the Supers okayed it, because it allowed Deanne & I to go to Samal for overnight!  Yea!!

  Today, however, we spent time going to Victoria & Abreeza & eating at a local Filipino restaurant - “KK”

  After spending a couple hours out, we headed back to get ready for Swing.  It was completely dead, except for 1 labor, which Kamarie was in charge of.

  There were 2 baby checks that came in for me, so Deanne got to watch me do those. Both babies are doing really well.  It is always so nice to see that “your” babies are doing well!  ( I don’t think that I have posted on here yet, that one of my patients came in for the 1 day check & their 3 week check-up.  As soon as I saw the baby, I knew that it was malnourished.  She wasn’t even up to her birth weight.  Her mom hasn’t brought her in again yet, so I don’t know how she is faring.  This was my 5th handle.)

  Kamarie wanted to attend a language class, so asked if she could endorse the labor to me, though I would call her if her patient began pushing.  I said sure.  This patient had elevated b/p, pulse, & temp & thick mec stain.  So, needless to say, I had to keep a really close eye on her & monitor her closely.  Brouc Shiel, nickname of Langging, decided that she wanted to go to the hospital to deliver, so I transported her with Claire & Kuya Felix.  I was the one who went in to the hospital & endorsed Langging to the Dr.  The Dr. normally doesn’t ask me any questions, but this time she wanted to know when the elevated vitals happened & SROM.  I had brought Langging into the hospital almost immediately after being endorsed her & hadn’t looked over her chart yet, so I didn’t have the information that she wanted.  Also, to my dismay, I found that we had forgotten to attach the labs to the referral sheet.  Oops! 

  When I walked back out to the Ambulance, Claire asked me how it went.  I told her that it went pretty well, but that there were no labs attached.  So, immediately on arriving back at Mercy, I was handed the labs & told to tell Kuya that I needed to go back the hospital.

  On the way over, I had a wonderful chat with Kuya.  It was so fun to hear about his family of 6 children.

  When I arrived back at the hospital, the Dr looked up as I entered the door.  Her expression was “oh no, not you again.” When she saw that I was just bringing her the labs & the information for Langging, I think she was relieved.  (I think she thought at first I was bringing her another patient.)

  Deanne didn’t go with me to the hospital, but sat with me during the time on shift.  I really wanted to catch – or at least assist – a birth, so she could see how we do it here, but it didn’t work out.  Gave us time to talk though!

No comments:

Post a Comment