The day after my 7th girl was born, I was on Swing shift. I was endorsed a p.p. patient & Kamarie was endorsed a labor. My patient didn’t need anything for a few hours, & Kamarie was busy assisting a birth (ended up getting transported), then taking care of her labor patient, so I began a baby check that came in for Kam. I was more then 1/2 way done when a labor came in. She looked fairly active, so I began taking vital signs right away. By examination, Malia was only 3 cm, so we encouraged her to walk around at Victoria mall, but her contractions were coming every 3-4 minutes, so she asked to stay. Malia sat outside for an hour, then laid down in her cubicle.
Kamarie’s patient began pushing, so I was called in to assist. Went well & a baby girl was born! After we completed a few five minute checks & everything was stable, I left to go take V/S on my labor & pp.
Things were progressing well with Malia, but she was having a lot of back pain, so I massaged her back during contractions. I wanted to stay, but my p.p. patient needed checked now.
I heated up water for the baby’s bath & took the tub into the p.p. room. I accidentally stepped into the wrong cubicle. I knew that something wasn’t quite right, but couldn’t figure it out. (the beds are numbered & we have clipboards with numbers on the back to keep everything straight.) Turned out I had miscounted…. So, anyways, she told me that it was the one on the bed over, so I peeked in & asked. “No, that’s not me.” Then I asked the patient on the other side. “Yes, that’s me.” Phew! :)
After bathing the baby & giving Jacqueline her p.p. instructions & schedule, I checked on Malia. I asked her if she wanted her bana to come in. She said yes, so after she told me his name, I went into the hallway where the bantays & banas wait. After finding him, there were a couple people out there, I asked him to follow me. Malia’s name slipped my mind, so I said, “your wife wants you”, knowing full well that he probably didn’t know what a “wife’’ was, but I couldn’t think of what else to say. He followed me, then said, “I didn’t know I had a wife.” Oh, the joys of trying to communicate & neither person really understand the other language! :)
Most patients are ready to go home 6 hours after delivering, so I took all of Jacqueline’s p.p. vitals, hoping that she could go home now. Everything was normal for her, but the baby was breathing really fast. I had her nurse him, but his breathing remained high. I rechecked about every 10 minutes, hoping that things would stabilize & she could go home. It was hard to have to tell her that her baby wasn’t ready to go home. She was really worried. I prayed with her & soon after Khent’s breathing normalized & she was released to go home!! The joy & relief when I said that she could go now & everything was normal, clearly showed.
After I discharged her, I returned to Malia. She was spontaneously pushing during contractions. I encouraged her to breathe. She tried, but still would push at times during the contraction. I asked Vania if it would be ok for her to do a trial push. She said that would be fine, so I told Malia that she could push now. Progress was not being made, so I told her that I wanted her to breathe again & not push. As soon as a contraction began, I would begin saying “ginhowa, dili utong, ginhowa, good job, inhale, exhale, dili utong, ginhowa, maayo, good job” (forgive my spelling or grammar on the Visayan words – still learning!) Translated it is, breathe, no push, breathe, good job, inhale, exhale, no push, breathe, good, good job.
After a couple contractions, the baby began to move down well, so we encouraged her to push – not hard for her to do! Baby was born 2 minutes later at 9:19 pm. Another boy!
He did very well in immediate postpartum & throughout. Malia needed an IV, due to 750 cc blood loss, but her vitals remained stable.
After thinking about names & asking me what my name was, they settled on naming him, Jordan. That made my day!
Endorsements were at 10:00 pm. I endorsed everything, but charting & logbooks, but ended up wanting to do almost everything, so didn’t leave until 12:15 am!!
Jordan & Jordan!! :)
Isn’t he precious???
Kamarie, Ate Jobee, & I with our babies!
Ate Jobee is so much fun!!
Pictures of Cristhel & her baby Hazzel.
Cristhel is 15 years old, but is doing a great job of caring for Hazzel! Her bana is 16.
Children are a blessing!
QUOTE: "I didn't know I had a wife."
ReplyDeleteLOL! Gotta love the language barrier. :-P
Folk sure get married young over there.
That's neat that Malia wanted to name her baby after you. And the baby's a cute little bundle, himself!
God bless,
~R
How exciting having a namesake!! It must meen that your patients enjoy having you as there midwife!! Good job! Lots of Love
ReplyDeleteCorbin