Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Lovely Vacation Day 4

  The next morning, we ordered breakfast, which they delivered to our door….amazing room service!!

  The food here is so fresh!  After a delicious breakfast of fruits/vegetables & eggs, we changed into our swimsuits, grabbed our snorkels & headed down to the beach. 

  The wind picked up during the night, so the water was really murky.  We snorkeled anyway, but couldn’t see much.  The first time that I snorkeled was when I was in Africa at Lake Tanganika.  I had been really scared then that I would go too deep & get water in my snorkel, so didn’t really enjoy it.  This time, though, I really had a good time!  After playing for a bit & picking up shells, we headed out to Pearl Farm to see if the water would be clearer.

  This time, we each got our own motor for the trip.  Pearl Farm ended up being a resort, not a place to buy or look for Oysters, but the water was really clear & they had an all-you-can-eat buffet. 

  After having lunch, we were boated over to a small Island, where we snorkeled & saw Starfish.  I swam over to a diving board & saw lots of crabs, tiny fish, a fish-like critter & baby octopi, or squid!  It was a lot of fun, though I tried to keep a nice-sized distance from the crabs! :)

  I haven’t got sunburnt in years, but I did get burnt this time!  It was totally worth it, though! 

  We boarded a boat to head back over to Davao City.  A little over 1/2 way across, the waves began really picking up & a couple times, some of the ladies would scream as the boat would rock really far over to the side or onto it’s nose.  I was really enjoying it & wanted the boat to rock more, though I did want to be sure that it wouldn’t go over. :)

We finally made it Davao, but then with the waves being so crazy, the platform that we would normally use to get onto land, was very precarious, with the waves knocking it around like they were.  So, the boatman had to back up the boat & retry a few times to get it lined up for us to get onto land a different way….. a slim board with a handrail on one side & nothing on the other! 

  The platform really began being knocked around & a few times slipped underneath the bridge.  Once, it sent up a spray so large, that it got all the men on the bridge wet! 

  I was on the wrong side of the boat to get off, so began making my way over to the other side & enjoying trying to “ride the waves”, but looking more like a drunken sailer! lol  People were lined up on the “right” side holding onto the rail.  It didn’t look like I would be allowed “in” for awhile, but thankfully one of guys, let me in.  As I stepped in front of him & took of the rail, he told me, “Good luck”.  “Thanks, “ I replied. “You’re going to need it”, he finished.  How encouraging!  I was actually really enjoying myself! 

  When we worked our way up the side of the boat towards the nose, we took hold of one of the guy’s hands.  He would hand us to another guy, who would see us safely onto the bridge & then another guy would take us across the bridge & onto land. 

  Deanne had really been hoping for a good rain, because with being in Saudi, she hadn’t been able to enjoy any rain.  Well, while we stopped in at Aldevinco for a few things, it began pouring rain!  We took a Jeepney to Victoria, then a Pedicad to Boodles where we met Sarah for dinner. 

  After eating, we headed to a spa, where we had a 1st class aromatherapy massage. 

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a lot of fun! Miss you so much.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. A vacation in the middle of a mission....what a blessing! Timing was perfect, as always with our Lord in control, you were refreshed to start out your final, we think, two months at MM.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete