Friday, June 17, 2011

6/17/11 Swing Shift

Since I have finished my assists & have never caught a baby before, I am first up on the labors that come in.  (once I am assigned a labor, however, I stick with that one to the end, unless I am going off shift)

When I arrived for Swing, I was endorsed a labor.  Her nickname was Gimay.  She was 18, didn’t speak hardly any English, & this was her first birth. I took Gimay’s vitals every hour.    Everything was going well for awhile, but then she stopped progressing, so Claire & I transported her.  It looked as if Gimay was fighting tears, she so wanted to be able to deliver at the birthing center.

Then soon after I arrived back to the clinic, another patient walked in.  Her name was Iris & she spoke good English.  She was very cheerful. Iris is 22 years old, & this was her first baby as well.  Her bantay (watcher) was very supportive.  I checked Iris’s vitals hourly.  When she first came in, her contractions were moderate.  By the time I endorsed to night shift, contractions were coming harder & faster.  The girls from Night Shift are still sleeping, so I haven’t heard the update on her.

Tonight I am on Night shift & since I still haven’t caught a baby, I am first up again!  Maybe tonight will be the night!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jord! The pictures in your blog are great. So fun to put a picture to where you are & who you are with, & of course a few babies!
    God bless, protect, guide & strengthen you!
    Mrs. Wylie

    ReplyDelete