Night shift started off really slow. A few continuity patients came in, but because they were cont’s, I got to sleep. (A continuity patient is one that a midwife takes on as her patient during the prenatal period & does all the remaining prenatals, birth & postpartum examinations on.)
Amber woke me up at 4:30 am, to let me know that a patient in labor walked in. Her name is Jermay & she is 19 years old. I got up, & checked her vitals. They were all normal, but when I checked her GA – gestational age – it showed that she was 36 3/7 weeks along. Her FH – fundal height - was only 30 cm, so we weren’t off on dates. She was about ready to push, & we could tell that baby wasn’t ready to be born, so we filled out the paperwork for transporting, inserted an IV, put her on the rolled out stretcher & carried her out to the waiting ambulance. On arriving at the hospital, Jermay was carried into the hospital & we endorsed her care to them. I don’t know if we will see her again, but she was told that we would still do her follow-up care if she so desired. We arrived back at MMC right after the Day shift began, so that’s all for my Night! Maybe when I get back from outreach, I will have a labor that actually progresses to birth!
No comments:
Post a Comment