Clinic was amazing! After Willa, the midwife that I was shadowing that day, did the first prenatal, she told me to do the next one. I basically did everything, except ask some questions, as they were written in Visayan & I am not fluent… yet. :D
We switched off on being the primary midwife with the 6 patients that we served. I now have 3 prenatals marked down as me being the “Primary” caretaker! Yea!
After clinic was over, Sarah & I headed over to Green House for lunch & a break of a few hours before swing shift started.
When we arrived back to MMC, we found out that 5 or 6 births had happened during the day shift. It made for a very busy beginning! I was immediately instructed to take vitals on client #1 who had just arrived. She was, according to dates, showing that she was 4-6 weeks early. She didn’t speak any English, which definitely encouraged me to learn Visayan. After I did my first set of vitals on her, I took vitals on a new mother and baby (#2). After taking those, I again took b/p on client #1. She was then sent home.
Things calmed down a bit, so I helped get things cleaned up, then talked with one of the first year girls, Hannah. We had a fun time together.
Client #3 arrived, & I took vitals on her. She arrived with her mother. Both spoke pretty good English, so we had awhile to chat before the supervisors came to check up on us. She was in late active labor/transition, so we let her alone with her mother & husband, until labor was imminent. I charted throughout the entire labor, delivery, and early postpartum…..a first! The midwives were more then happy to help me walk through everything that needed written down. They are all AMAZING!!
She had an adorable little girl. It all went well, though one of the midwives did need to suture her.
Below are some pictures of the babies that Sarah & I worked with….
Sarah had the privilege of doing the Newborn Examination & giving him a vitamin K & Hep. B shot. She also did most of the postpartum examinations on his mother.
This adorable girl was the first one in which I did a Newborn Examination for in the Philippines. (The first & only Newborn Exam I observed in the US, was when I was 13.) Isn’t she adorable? :)
The following two pictures are of a baby that Sarah observed being born & I charted the labor progress.
I never imagined that I would see you holding a baby so soon and that you would be giving me new information daily on all of the new opportunities..... I praise God with you!! I do pray that you are able to get some real solid sleep and healthy food so that you keep strong for the journey.
ReplyDeleteIn His care,
Mom
Hi Jordan, we prayed for you as a family the other day. Such an amazing thing you are doing there. We signed up for the email function so we will be sure not to miss a blog!! keep the blogs coming! We are so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteSteve